Atlantis Unmasked (Warriors of Poseidon, Book 4)

Atlantis Unmasked - Alyssa Day 3.75 starsGrace Havilland is a descendant of the Goddess of the Hunt, Diana, complete with bow and arrows. She's a true warrior woman who is independent, fierce, headstrong and courageous.Alexios is a Warrior of Poseidon who is a lot more than meets the eye. He is quiet and intense, sincere and honorable, loyal, powerful, broken and uncertain he is able to love. His imprisonment with the vampire Goddess Anubisa has left him scarred both emotionally and physically. ATLANTIS UNMASKED starts right after an attack on the St. Louis rebel headquarters. Grace's best friend Michelle is injured in the attack and when Alexios and Grace are alone after taking the seriously injured Michelle to the hospital, they share a kiss that sends Alexios running as fast as he can from Grace. But he can't keep running because when the Fae High Prince contacts Grace wanting her to set up a meeting with the Atlanteans to discuss the problems with the vampires, he is sent back to her as the Atlantean representative and to train the group of rebel recruits she commands. Amidst feral shifter attacks, injuries and sparring sessions Grace and Alexios grow closer and closer and the attraction between them is undeniable.I don't know what to say about this installment of the Warriors of Poseidon so this isn't going to be one of my long-winded, ranting and raving reviews. It definitely felt different from the previous books I read in this series. In every series there's a book that is what I call the transition book. The book that falls right in the middle of the overall story arc and even though it continues the arc it doesn't move forward with it. To me ATLANTIS UNMASKED was the transition book in this series. I liked it a lot but I did miss the sizzle of the first few books in this series and I missed the overall story arc a bit as it was just mentioned a few times. And I am also a bit ambivalent about the ending. Though it rounded off the book perfectly, it was kind of sudden and felt a bit rushed compared to the rest of it. It felt to me as if all the action and resolution were cramped into the last 20 pages and I am not used to that by Alyssa Day. This was an installment I just didn't feel as connected with as with the rest of the books in this series. Unfortunately that can happen.Were there things I liked about the book too, you ask? Of course there were! I love the banter between the warriors, which was of old and a joy to read again and their self-deprecating humor that gets to me every single time. I loved a certain joyful event that took place in the beginning of the book, an event I have been waiting for from the moment I closed the first book. I loved that the mutual pining and not acting on it stopped just before it started to bother me. I loved that the focus was on the romance between Grace and Alexios and liked the fodder for speculations about the Fae, Alaric, Quinn and Michelle sprinkled throughout the book. I adored Christophe who is getting cockier and more fascinating by the page and I can't wait to read his story and see him find the woman who will make him take it down a notch. So thanks to the ambivalent ending that predicted a lot of interesting twists and turns to come I am looking forward to continuing with the next installment of this series.